Sunday, March 8, 2009

Letter Project Take 2

In considering the history and imagery related to the letters of my initials, I have some preliminary plans on how to construct a poster based on them.

When I imagine the idea of a poster, it is often to advertise something or introduce an idea and they do not often serve a purely visual and none intellectual function. Due to this, I have been playing around with the idea of creating a slogan to use as the basis for my poster. I am very intrigued with the concept of questioned identity that is proposed by the letter M, particularly because the letters I am using are based on my own name and identity. I don't have a concrete slogan just yet, but the one I am currently bouncing around is "Who aM I? What Can I Be?" The message is not as important as much the fact that it is a question that features the letters I am dealing with. These letters will play a prominent visual role in my poster. I plan to incorporate some evolutionary visual element with each of my initials that will feature many of the symbols and letters that led to their current form. I have been collecting a visual history of each letter and will use these mainly as a compositional element rather than a conceptual one.



I also plan to use imagery of blueprints as a basic layout for my poster. The letter B's main ideological history relates to the image of floorplans. Floorplans are also a way of attempting to identify and construct a space, much as my poster will be attempting to identify and construct an indentity for these letters.



In regards to C, I am latching onto the idea of a boomerang. The letter has a history related to both camels as well as sling staffs, which are similar to boomerangs. I would like to use the trajectory and pathway of the boomerang as a visual path or guide through my poster. I will also likely include the imagery of water, in the form of ripples, that comes from the letter M as a compositional element in the poster.


No comments:

Post a Comment